Friday 23 October 2009

What is it about Pride and Prejudice?


In the school holidays most normal kids hang out at the mall, play Guitar Hero or World of Warcraft, binge drink (joking!) or go to the cinema with their friends.

But not 13-year-old Miss Hissy. In our house the recent two-week break evolved into 'the Jane Austen festival'.

Miss Hissy started reading Pride and Prejudice in the first week and I noticed a change in her speech patterns, pronunciation and enunciation.

"Mum, I am displeased that we are having to make our way to the supermarket when I would prefer to spend my leisure time engaged in other more fruitful endeavours."

"Why, dear mother, is it that my eldest sister is such a dimwit?"

"Let us take a turn about the room."

We watched Sense and Sensibility, starring Emma Thompson, Alan Rickman, Kate Winslett and Hugh Grant. This was followed by Pride and Prejudice, starring Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen (this was a weekly hire, so we got value for money by watching it three times).

Miss Hissy then brought home the BBC series of Pride and Prejudice, starring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle, from her grandparents'. She watched it twice - the first time she sat through the whole six hours in one viewing!

Is there something wrong with my little poppet, who sometimes feels she doesn't belong in the world? I think not, dear friends.

For Jane Austen's stories touch a universal nerve. Just generally (and because I have to get out of this blog and go for a swim before lunch) they are about strong women who eventually, after many twists and turns, get their man. and he's a generous, good looking, wealthy bloke to boot.
Dear little Miss Hissy. I hope she eventually gets an 'Austen' man!

4 comments:

Sandie Hudson said...

Oh Shayne, what a gem you have there in Miss Hissy. I girl after my own heart. I can sit and watch Pride and Prejudice for hours and do regularly. ROTFLMAO love the eldest sister comment.

Sandie

Shayne said...

Hi Sandie
Yes, a romance writer in the making!

AJ Blythe said...

Shayne, I've never seen the Colin Firth P&P and feel my life is not fulfilled. *Sigh* hopefully one day I'll get the chance...

Shayne said...

ANITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE ABC SHOP OR DYMOCKS - I don't know if Brizzy has an ABC Shop in Dymocks, but there's one in Sydney's Dymocks store - AND YOU MUST BUY IT RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!