Saturday 19 June 2010

Girl eats boy: who's kissing who in the 2010 production of West Side Story?


I didn't think I held conservative views about snogging and all that until I skimmed through the arts and entertainment supplement in today's paper, where an ad for the 2010 production of West Side Story caught my eye.

In it was a mid-shot pic of the muscial's two protaganists - Maria and Tony - where Maria is about to kiss her modern-day Romeo.

I mention Maria's name before Tony's because in the pic she hovers slightly above him and cradles him in her arms.

It looks wrong.

I know, I know. We're living in the 21st century, where girls are free to initiate the kiss. I'm cool with that. Power to us. Girls can be dominant - but there's a time and place.

In the newspaper photo, Tony comes across as positively wimpy, sort of 'girly'.

Because his head is in the bottom of the frame, it seems smaller, while Maria (who we can see more of, broad shoulders included) looms large on the page. Tony also looks as though he's about to faint. Maybe he already has - at the thought of being gobbled up by the Amazonian Maria.

West Side Story is about the tough boy from the 'hood and member of the Jets and the innocent, demure Peurto Rican girl who fall madly in love, with tragic consequences.

In this situation, I reckon Tony should take the lead.

It's all about boys on top, not girl eats boy.

(The pic is from the 1961 film adaptation. Tony is where he should be, cradling Maria in his arms)
PS: IMAGINE MARIA SINGING: TONY, I JUST KISSED A BOY CALLED TONY...
I REST MY CASE.

No comments: