Thursday 17 June 2010

Swimming in the ocean in winter


I'm not happy when it's cold. I'm talking Sydney cold. But what do I have to complain about? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Europe and all those really cold places in the general vicinity are hell in winter. For goodness sake, people die from the cold in places like Russia.

Still, I love to whinge. It's in my genetic makeup. I'm a bloody Aussie whinger. Particularly when the temperature drops below 20 degrees Celcius. Particularly when I've just registered for an ocean swim at Mona Vale on Sunday, June 20, the day before the winter solstice, which is the shortest day of the year.
The water is a chilly 19 degrees. I'm used to an indoor pool heated to around 25 degrees.
I've gone soft.

It's the heart of winter in Sydney and I'm going to swim in the ocean without a wetsuit. Almost naked (except for the skimpy cossie). I AM AS MAD AS A CUT SNAKE.
Brrrrrrrr...

Let's see what happens on Sunday. Stay tuned.

No comments: