Saturday 7 January 2012

The day before the North Bondi Ocean Swim: my weakness is the ins and outs



Tomorrow is the first of several swims at Bondi this season. Sunday's is run by the North Bondi Surf Life Saving Club. I'm pretty nervous because I don't want to bomb out with a lousy time. I also registered for both the 1and 2km swims but already I'm considering pulling out of the 1km. I'm not sure I've got the stamina to do both.  I want a good time for the 2km.

This morning I was down at North Bondi for squad, which had a record turn-out. Seems everyone is swimming tomorrow. The weather was beautiful and when I arrived nice and early the beach was already comfortably crowded. 

The CanToo swimmers, who raise money for cancer research, were out in force.Then there was Mr Mean's squad of around 50 pumped swimmers, average age 25. I don't have a chance. Even the old codgers in the squad are fast but it gives me the Jimmy Brits that Mr Mean still shoves me in with the slow swimmers when I'm only finishing around two minutes behind Mr Very Big so far this ocean swims season*. That's my gripe and I won't say anything more about it. Let's just hope IT will give me the impetus to rage through the surf tomorrow.

This morning's squad was unrelenting. Lots of swimming in and out. That's where I lose precious seconds. I'm not fast enough or strong enough to plough through the sets on the way out. The squad gets away from me and then I spend time playing catch-up. 

And on the way back in today I didn't choose the best routes. On one occasion I'd decided where I was going to come in but changed my mind when I saw the other swimmers head in another direction. I followed them and that turned out to be a big mistake. When I get around to writing my top 10 tips for ocean swimming DO NOT FOLLOW will be up there.

The 1km starts at 9.15am and the 2km at 10.30am. Send out good vibes for me!    

*Teacher's pet

No comments: