Saturday 23 January 2010

Constitution Dock and swimming at Bridport in Tasmania




Here's a couple of my pics from our recent trip to Tasmania. I took the photo on the left at Constitution Dock in Hobart - where the Sydney to Hobart yacht race ends.
The fishing boat Annie B had just arrived back in port from a week at sea. If you look closely at the boat you can see what looks like rows of Cianti bottles. They are actually lights, which attract squid. The fishermen, a terse uncommunicative lot, were hauling off squid by the bucket load. I might try and put up a couple more of the pics of the boat in the next few days. I think the file size is making it hard for me to load them simultaneously.
Constitution Dock is an amazing place. I live in Sydney where old things are often pulled down. But Hobart is a true snapshot of Australia's colonial past. Recommended.
The photo on the right was taken at Bridport, a holiday town on the north-east coast. Tassie has a reputation for being a cold place. After all, it's not that far from the Antarctic. But it was stinking hot the day I drove to Bridport. I swam there - my first swim ever in Bass Strait - and I reckon the water temperature was around 23 degrees Celcius. Gorgeous.
And geez, don't the beaches get crowded in Tassie?
I don't know about you, but life has its heavenly moments and my swim at Bridport was one of these.
Time slows down a little bit in Tassie.
But that was last week. Back in Sydney, I'm off to swim in the Pacific tomorrow with a horde of mad ocean swimmers.
Deep breath. Visualise floating like an otter in Bridport...

2 comments:

AJ Blythe said...

Good luck with your swim Shayne.

Shayne said...

Thanks Anita. Done!