Sunday 2 January 2011

Newport Beach 2km Ocean Swim: Pool to Peak


It's disconcerting to reach the end of a 2km ocean swim, feeling pretty smug, to find out that the first-place getter in the 70+ age group has creamed you.

You think I'd be used to it by now, but I still can't believe how many friggin' brilliant swimmers there are in the older age categories who continually challenge the younger elite swimmers.

There are a couple of regulars who come to mind. One is Don Boland, who would be familiar to anyone who's done an ocean swim in Sydney. I'm too lazy to check his age, but I think he's 59. He did today's swim in... I'm thinking here, what was it?... around 27 minutes. That is dolphin-fast when you consider the course was probably a couple of hundred metres more than the advertised 2km. The results aren't online yet because they were done the old-fashioned way, with volunteers timing swimmers as they ran up to the line. But when they're up on http://www.oceanswims.com/ you can bet your bottom dollar DB will be up there with the fastest, who finished in around 25-27 minutes.

Not much more to say except it was a bloody beautiful day, the surf was refreshing and the waves were my favourite height at .7 metres, according to http://www.seabreeze.com.au/.

I should have swum faster. Maybe I could get DB to give me a lift next swim.

At this point, I'm not sure if I'm doing North Bondi or Gerringong on the south coast next Sunday. But if the conditions are as perfect as today, I'll be in like Flynn.

No comments: